15th January: Are you planning for your marriage? And are you also ready to seek premarital counseling?
Why? Because, premarital counseling is becoming quite significant now days to help get higher marital satisfaction.
Things to know about premarital counseling–
Premarital counseling—Premarital counseling is the counseling sought by the partners getting ready to get hooked. So, its before tying nuptial knots. Premarital counseling provides your insights into your relationship dynamics and to prevent them from going in the wrong direction.
Premarital counseling sessions discuss following topics-
- Family relationships
- Dealing with anger
- Values and beliefs
Apart from the above mentioned issues, the couple can discuss any other issues they want to know about.
Role of premarital counseling—Premarital counseling is quite unique and a varying process. And couples deciding to get married can benefit a lot from getting premarital counseling since it helps in exploring the issues related to their relationship and any potential relationship issues in the times to come before they finally say ‘yes’ to each other.
- It helps in improving your communication skills and leads to better negotiation of your conflicts for strengthening your relationship.
- It helps in creation of positive marriage resolutions.
- Premarital counseling helps in putting to a rest all your fears(you or your partner’s) with regard to marriage. This is especially true when one of the partners is coming from a divorced family or a family facing relationship issues. So, it helps in guiding you the ways to make peace with all your past experiences.
- Finding the roots of potential marital problems—With the help of a good premarital counselor, you can know which habits or attributes you(and your partner) need to change to help cut the roots of any future marital issues.
Want to get the best of your premarital sessions?—Here is how you can make the best of your premarital counseling sessions.
- You need to know and accept the fact that premarital counseling sessions can become quite challenging sometimes. So, you need to be ready for it.
- You and your partner to bear in mind that you must remain open and be ready to change that are going to pose problems in a married relationship.
- There is no need to discuss your premarital counseling sessions with your friends, or anyone else. Remember, it is your personal affair and needs to be kept private.
- You need to be thankful to your partner to have agreed to attend premarital counseling session together. And you must express your gratitude to your would-be spouse.