Marriage is a relationship which may get into the need of “counseling” at any given point of time. And this time is neither predetermined nor predefined. One can actually never predict the exact period when such a need would arise.
Evaluating the need of Counseling
Whether your marriage is in the need of an “expert counseling” or not should be evaluated by you as judiciously as possible. There are some signs of evaluating the need:
- When you don’t feel like communicating with your partner, and the communication only gets restricted to the mundane needs then you must move to a marriage counselor.
- When you feel that you are being abused whether physically, emotionally or in any other way, then you must take an immediate step.
- When you don’t feel the urge of making love to your partner, probably this is the time for you to consult an expert.
- When you see your partner to be indifferent towards the relationship, you must not delay meeting an expert.
Contributions made by Counseling
A relationship gets stronger only with time and effort. And moving to a counselor is one of the biggest efforts a spouse or a couple can make, after he has understood the issues in his or her marital relationship.
A few advantages of Counseling are mentioned below:
- A counselor has an independent view so he or she reflects in the issue without getting biased. This will help you to realize your own shortcomings and improve upon them.
- A marriage can be saved from getting worse if an expert’s help is seemed on time.
- A marriage can have a longer life with the help of introspection led by counseling.
- You can revive your relationship and make things happier for yourself and your spouse by taking a counselor’s help.
Choosing a Christian Counselor
When you intend to take an expert help, you might have preferences for the same. There are instances when people want to be specific and select a Christian Counselor only. However, you must keep following criteria in mind for selecting such an expert:
- The Counselor should be recognized and recommended by the community of local church.
- You must find out about the pastor of the counselor.
- You must also find out if the counselor attends church regularly or not.
- You must understand his or her belief too and match the same with your own ones. This would prevent you from getting into any kind of conflict in due course of time.
- Before getting into any further details you must find out the views of the counselor on marriage and divorce.
- You must prefer selecting a person who is not biased and bears an independent though process.
Counseling is needed by every marriage, for some it could be sooner and for some it could be later. The matter of understanding is that this kind of a professional help mostly improves the marriage and strengthens the bond. Hence, if you have evaluated and felt the need of such a step you must not delay it any further.